Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Carpinteria State Beach

I've decided that I would like to share a little piece of my heart today. I wrote this short essay at the beginning of my senior year, and I smile reading it again today because of how accurate it remains. I don't know if it's any good, but I'm sharing it anyways as a sort of insight into why Carpinteria continues to inspire and refresh my creativity even after 18 years of camping here. These photos are just little moments of the adventure this week promises. I hope you enjoy. :) 

     Imagine the refreshing feeling of the caress of crisp, salty ocean air gently blowing across your face, and your nostrils are filled with the aroma of a newly kindled campfire. In the near distance, you hear the crashing waves of a terrifyingly extraordinary ocean, yet feel the comfort and reassurance of the solid ground underfoot covered in the warm and smooth grains of sand. This is what total tranquility is entailed of. Carpinteria, California is the place I feel most at peace with who I am, and feel most reassured of who I want to be.
     When my life feels overwhelmed with stress and the tribulations of life, I know that I can always return back to the beach, whether it be over summer or just in thought. The flood of memories of my summers spent near the shore can make even my most stressful nights calm again. My family has spent summer in Carpinteria, California every year for over fifty years as a family tradition. Since the beginning of my existence, my life has always centered around the anticipation of our Carpinteria family reunion. The beauty of nature surrounding this town, the absolutely gorgeous sunsets promised every night across the blue horizon, the luscious green grass and mountainous landscape never fail to leave me in awe and instill a sense of tranquility in the truth that there is so much more beauty to life than I can fathom. The peace that camping on the sand brings me quiets my fears and my stress.
     While camping on the beach, my family is quite literally forced to become closer than ever. I am so thankful for even the short amount of time I have while camping to rekindle the relationships between cousins, aunts, and uncles that I haven't seen since the previous summer. This magical campground can mend even the most broken relationships under the realization that life is short and family is too important to lose. Every summer I am reminded just how much love surrounds me and how blessed I have been to have been born into the family I was born into.
     Possibly the most important lesson that being in this small oceanfront town reminds me of, is the importance of why I love life, and why it is so precious to me. When I camp on the beach, the closeness to nature reminds me to appreciate its beauty, and it stirs up a beautiful feeling of inspiration inside of the deepest parts of my soul. A sense of creativity is sparked in me, and my love for photography is somehow able to flow even more freely than it has the capacity to flow at home in Arizona. The best lesson the ocean has taught me is that there is a rich beauty to be found in adventures and capturing the moments most precious to me.
     Carpinteria, California might be a town unfamiliar to most people, but to me it is a refuge that I can call home. The serenity I am enveloped in as soon as I step foot onto the warm sand is quite possibly my most cherished memory I can always look back on to find peace, and will continue to be the most precious feeling that I will always be able to look forward too. The sense of self-assurance, the comforting arms of loving family and friends, and the most beautiful root of inspiration in my life can be found in the small town of Carpinteria.  














































































































No comments:

Post a Comment